Tuesday 3 February 2009

A FEW SIGHTINGS ON RHUYS

On Friday 30th, when I first arrived at Suscinio, the weather was cold, grey and windy, not promising at all.I saw a marsh harrier fly across the reedbeds in the distance but not much else.I stopped at the car-park near the medieval castle and peeped over the bushes towards the lake there. I saw a black-necked grebe for one or two minutes and then it was gone.The weather started clearing up.
At Penvins, the wind was freezing cold and I ate my sandwich in the car while watching flocks of Brent geese wading or flying over. Then I started walking along the rocks which had been uncovered by the ebbing tide. Just behind the chapel , I noticed a white mess on the grass and I saw in my binoculars that a kestrel had just demolished a gull and was still sitting there.I walked towards him as quietly as possible out in the open as there was no cover.He flew a few meters to the left and was scratching the ground when I caught up with him.Then it flew away and perched on twigs between the beach and the grass , still watching for preys landing on the grass.
Later on , I stopped at a tiny harbour called Le Logeo where a little egret was wading in the shallow water. Then I walked along the coastal path from Pen Castell, the tidal mill, and I saw a lone gull wading down below .I assume it is a mediterranean gull but I am not quite sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment